What is relevant work experience?
Relevant work experience is any experience that helps you qualify for the position you want.Relevant experienceit can be earned from your job, education or even hobbies. The important thing is that you have collectedtransferable skillsthrough the experience that will help you succeed in the new role.
It is important to include relevant work experience on your CV because it shows hiring managers that you have understood the job.job requirementsand that your experiencemeets these requirements.
Best Resume Templates for 2023
One of the best ways to create your resume is by filling out one of our free resume templates. All our templates are expertly designed and are free to download for Microsoft Word or Google Docs.
Read our guide
How to format your work experience section
Just as important as choosing the right onecurriculum vitae templateand generallyCV-formatIt is knowing how to structure your work experience section. Hiring managers need to be able to quickly confirm that you have the experience they are looking for.
Follow these rules to secure yoursCV-formatit is true:
build my CV
Our free to use resume builder can create a resume in as little as 5 minutes. Just select the template you want and our software will format everything for you.
List your previous job titles, employment dates and company names
For each job you list in the work experience section, please include the following information:
- job titles)
- company name
- Place of business (city and state)
- Dates you were employed there
- Three to five points highlighting your achievements and work duties
Here is a template that shows how your work experience should be formatted:
Company Name, City, State
Dates of employment
- Three to five bullet points describing your responsibilities while working on this job
Please list your most recent work experience first
List your most recent work experience at the top of your work experience section with less recent job titles below (much like aCV creation softwarewill automatically format this information).
The more recent the work experience, the higher it should be placed on your CV. Follow this format when writing the work experience section of your resume:
Firma, by, stat
Start date End date
- (Recent work experience)
Firma, by, stat
Start date End date
- (Second most recent work experience)
Firma, by, stat
Start date End date
- (Third most recent work experience)
List your work experiencechronologically on your CVIt shows hiring managers how you've progressed in your career and lets them see how your skills have developed over time. Make sure to use the presentresume timefor bullet points in your most recent work experience and the time spent writing bullet points for previous roles.
Here is an example of a work experience section taken from onepolice officer resume:
How to describe work experience on your CV
Once you know how to format your work experience on your resume, you should describe that experience with bullet points that highlight your professional background and skill set. Here it ishow to write a resumethat accurately reflects your experience:
Include achievements instead of responsibilities
Emphasizingachievements on your CVrather than simply listing job responsibilities. Achievements show that you have contributed positively to your company's performance rather than simply meeting expectations.
Compare these examples of work experience bullet points to see how effectively lists of accomplishments can strengthen your resume:
Implemented a lead tracking system that increased sales by 47%
Business leads are tracked
The first example is effective because it includes a number that gives the hiring manager an idea of how you will perform on the job if hired.
Write bullet points for the job you want
Although it may seem time-consuming, work experience items on your resume should not be generic unless you are writing a resume.general curriculum.
The content of your work experience section should be geared toward the job you want, with each bullet point showing specific skills and experience related to the job posting.
You should also include keywords from the job description in your experience section. Includingresume keywords, such as skills and qualifications that keep coming up throughout the job, ensure you meet the hiring manager's requirements.
Start each point with action verbs.
Starts at1:16 periodEva Chan, your professional certified resume writer, explains why action verbs are so effective on resumes:
To elaborate on Eva's point, hiring managers see tons of resumes that begin each point with phrases like "responsible for" and "responsible for."
The problem with language like this is that it ispassiveand it does not describe what you actually achieved at work.
Instead, you should start your bullet points with descriptions.resume action verbsthat clearly show hiring managers what you did in your previous roles.
Here are some examples of action verbs used to effectively describe a job applicant's work experience:
- Organizeda workplace safety measure that saved the company money in workers' compensation
- Developednew communication protocols that improved the connection between the company and customers
- optimizedproduct delivery logistics that expedited order fulfillment for customers
Add numbers to your balls where possible
Use numbers to describe your work experience whenever you can (this is known as quantifying your CV) because numbers give hiring managers a better idea of what you can achieve.
Anything that shows how you measurably improved performance should be included on your resume.
Examples ofhow to quantify your resumeinclude talking about:
- acquired customers
- dollars saved
- Customer satisfaction increased
- generated income
- customer service
- reduced expenses
- Reduced dropout rate
- Improved sales figures
These are some examples of work experience.resume ballswhich includes numbers:
10 examples of work experience on CVs
Computer Company, LLC, Scottsdale, AZ
2016 – today
- Supervised customer service training program that increased customer engagement by 35%
- A new office layout was implemented that improved communication between staff.
- Employee of the year won twice (2017 and 2019)
- Earned the highest performance ratings for 7 consecutive months for solving customer problems
- Developed a more efficient filing system for customer records.
Wellness Hospital, Boise, ID
- Managing patients in critical condition (more than 20 in my room)
- He led the training program for new nurses on the practical function of the ventilator.
- Cared for more than 1,000 patients in the ICU and provided preoperative care
- Trained 15 team members to use Epic and Cerner patient management software systems
Boys High School, Billings, MT
- Pilot reading initiative that expanded the average student's vocabulary by 140 words
- Coordinated run, swim and bike events that raised $76,000 for local causes
- Established an after-school gaming initiative that reduced student screen time by 40%
- Introduced SMART Boards as chairman of the Technology Committee
- Led the class in winning Best Behavior awards 7% more often than their peers
Humane Society of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN
- Greeted visitors and provided tours of the shelter for potential adopters.
- He averaged 3 adoption deals a day.
- Answered phone and email inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Helped increase the number of adoptions by 25% by planning and participating in adoption events
Talat Market, Atlanta, GA
- Build good customer relations and serve all guests in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Ensure all 15 employees adhere to company guidelines and state alcoholic beverage regulations.
- Maintain a sanitary environment by keeping the bar and seating area clean throughout the day.
- Maintain an inventory of liquor, food and supplies and liaise with the F&B Manager to ensure timely replenishment
- Make 3 signature drinks and update the menu twice a year with seasonal spirits and mocktails
Brix Law, Portland, Oregon
- Researched and wrote proposals, brochures and other material for customer meetings.
- Approached lawyers to make annual submissions to 4 leading benchmarking publications
- Maintain up-to-date mailing lists and send newsletters and summaries
- Preparation and sending of invitations to seminars, webinars and conferences. Follow-up of participants after the events, who reported an average satisfaction of 98%
Whole Foods, Raleigh, Carolina del Norte
- Provided efficient and friendly service to more than 100 customers daily
- Adhered to cash handling procedures as well as check, ATM and credit card procedures.
- Trained more than 10 new cashiers and ensured they followed established health, sanitation and safe work practices
- Performed opening and closing duties and ensured each workstation was clean and properly stocked for the day.
- Planned and executed over 30 meetings, events and fairs with great attention to detail and within budget
- I took the initiative in the negotiations and guided the suppliers through the entire planning process.
- Consulted with clients to ensure their requirements were met and devised profitable strategies, saving clients an average of 8% in budget costs
- Managed logistics including speaker coordination, transportation, agenda planning and event space
Louis Berger Services, San Jose, CA
- Maintained inventory and reduced monthly costs by $1,000 by evaluating office supply needs
- Liaison with building management for maintenance requests.
- Provided daily administrative support including answering incoming calls (60+ per day), scheduling meetings, coordinating office activities and greeting visitors.
- Facilitated onboarding of new employees in communication with administration, IT and building security.
Wellory, Brooklyn, Nueva York
- Contributed to a 15% increase in engagement on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter in my first 4 months with the company
- Analyzed the company's existing social media strategy and provided recommendations to the Marketing Manager.
- Identified and contacted over 100 influencers in the health and fitness industry regarding campaigns and brand collaborations.
- Communicate with customers through platforms, responding to an average of 100 messages and comments per day
Frequently asked questions about work experience
Here are some frequently asked questions about putting work experience on a resume:
Can I just put years on my CV?
Yes, you can put years on your CV. Leaving the exact months you were employed out of yoursthe CV work experience sectionit's an acceptable way to minimize a gap in your work history and make your experience seem more consistent.
However, don't imply that you worked somewhere for a year when you only worked there for a month. If employers think you areis on your CVThey won't hire you.
What jobs should you have on a CV?
You should include relevant jobs on a CV. For example, if you are applying for a customer service position, put jobs with similar functions on yourscustomer service CV. Then use numbers andaction verbsto describe these jobs in vignettes.
You can also include non-relevant jobs if necessary to make it clear that you do not have employment gaps. Just don't include bullet points under these jobs unless they show that you have transferable skills for the position you want.
In what order should work experience appear on a CV?
Work experience should generally be listed on a CV in reverse chronological order, meaning the most recent job should be listed first and the oldest job should be listed last. This format allows the reader to quickly see an applicant's recent and relevant work experience.
For each work experience entry, include job title, company name, dates of employment and three to five bullet points explaining your responsibilities and achievements.
Can you leave jobs off your CV?
Yes, you can leave jobs from your resume. Your resume is a general description of your most relevant experience and skills for a particular position, not a list of all the jobs you've ever held.
You can (and should) highlight any position that is relevant to the job you want, and skip any job that doesn't improve your chances of getting hired. For example, any past jobs that are not relevant to your current career path (such as a babysitting job you had as a teenager) should be omitted from your resume.
However, be prepared to discuss the jobs you put on your resume during an interview. Get an answer as to why you didn't mention a previously held position if a hiring manager finds out and asks.
Rate our article
Click to rate this article
37people have rated this article
Give details of the jobs you have had: employer name, job title and dates. Give detail about the things you did in that job, the skills you used & key achievements. Consider the type of jobs you are aiming for and focus on how your experience matches those jobs.How do I write a CV for work experience year 10? ›
Give details of the jobs you have had: employer name, job title and dates. Give detail about the things you did in that job, the skills you used & key achievements. Consider the type of jobs you are aiming for and focus on how your experience matches those jobs.What is an example of work experience? ›
Work experience is the experience an employee gains while working in a job, particular field or profession (for example, Four years of hands-on experience in online marketing). The work experience section on your resume is the thing that can make or break your chance of landing your dream job.What is the description of work experience? ›
The work experience section or employment history is a detailed summary of your past work experience. In other words, a comprehensible report of all jobs you've held in the past. Depending on your background, you can include full-time positions, part-time jobs, temporary roles, internships, or even volunteer work.How do you write work experience on a CV for freshers? ›
What to Include in a Fresher Resume Work Experience Section. When you're writing a resume work experience section, it's important to begin listing each company or business that you've worked for with the specific dates you were employed. List the city and state of each organization along with the position that you held ...How much experience should you put on your CV? ›
As a rule of thumb, your CV should only list the last 10 to 15 years of work experience, or your last five to six employment positions within this time frame. It keeps your CV highly relevant to the prospective employer.Do you have to write a CV for work experience? ›
It boosts your confidence and employability and helps you to decide what sort of career you might want to pursue. It's not a paid job, so do you need a CV? The answer is a definite yes. You need to know how to write a CV for work experience that'll convince the employer you've got something to offer them too.What is a good job description for a CV? ›
In your CV job description section, outline your duties and responsibilities, but focus on your accomplishments and achievements for each role. These details show your role and the contribution you made to the company. It highlights that you can be an asset to a future employer.How do you write duties and responsibilities on a CV? ›
- State your job title, company and employment duration. ...
- Write a quick job description. ...
- Choose the points you want to highlight. ...
- Quantify your achievements. ...
- Format your work experience.
Model Answer: I have some strong work experience that will help me with this job if I am successful. I worked for a year as a student in a local Pizza restaurant. That helped me to get confidence in talking to the public, and also showed me that this is a job where I will need to work hard.
“Here's why employers will ask you to fill out the work history section, even after you've submitted your resume,” Kirstie's video starts. “It's because the resume is not a legal document, and they can't hold you to the information that you put on there, but they can on that application.”How do I write a CV with no experience? ›
If you have little or no work experience, and therefore no work-related achievements, try to draw upon academic or extracurricular achievements that highlight your skills. Make sure to keep the achievements on your CV professional. Your achievements should go before your hobbies and interests section on your CV.